Arnau Miro: an HPC Europa visitor's report

Author: Guest blogger
Posted: 4 Jul 2018 | 10:22

Arnau Miró was an HPC-Europa visitor from 10th Jan–9th Apr 2018. He was hosted by Dr Charles Moulinec at STFC Daresbury Laboratory.

Hello everyone! My name is Arnau Miró and I am a third-year PhD student from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. I’m working in the Aerospace department in collaboration with the Barcelona Supercomputing Center Computer Applications in Science and Engineering department. I visited EPCC under the HPC-Europa3 transnational access programme, although I was mainly hosted by Dr Charles Moulinec at STFC Daresbury Laboratory.

My research involves large-scale fluid flow simulations of synthetic jet actuators, which are very interesting devices with lots of potential applications in the aerospace field. Since I need large computational meshes to carry out my simulations, I have to use supercomputers like ARCHER. During my time in Daresbury, I worked on an algorithm to multiply meshes in parallel on the supercomputer that is implemented inside Code_Saturne, an open-source CFD solver developed by EDF. An example? Just check the following video:

Then, I applied the mesh multiplication algorithm to generate a large mesh and compute the fluid flow of a circular synthetic jet actuator, just like the one you can see below:

I’m very excited because I’m presenting the results of this work at the ICCFD10 conference that will be held in Barcelona this summer.

Besides working hard, as a nature and photography lover I couldn’t miss the chance to explore the awesome countryside of the UK. I visited the beautiful city of Chester, walking by the old city walls. I went to the top of Conwy castle, which has amazing views of the whole city, and I was mesmerised by Lake Windermere in the Lake District National Park.

Overall, it was a highly positive experience for me and I would strongly recommend to anyone without hesitation. Although I stayed mostly in Daresbury, I visited EPCC for some days, which gave me the opportunity to get acquainted to the people working there and my supervisor. The only thing I regret is not having enough time to visit Edinburgh and Scotland properly. I’m saving this for next time!