Inaugural Edinburgh Research Software Engineering (RSE) Meeting
Posted: 30 Sep 2018 | 20:28
Edinburgh just held its inaugural Research Software Engineer (RSE) meeting at the Bayes Centre (also home to EPCC). It was attended by about 50 people from the Edinburgh area. If you don't know what a Research Software Engineer is, I urge you to look at Andy's slides for context and background.
The aim of this effort is to build a self-sustaining community in Edinburgh that can help itself and enable its members to feel less isolated. Also, in-line with the greater national effort, gain recognition for those who produce software as a research output, and establish a recognised career path within academic institutions. This effort does not pertain just to the University of Edinburgh - we have already had some involvement from Heriot-Watt and some commercial companies within Edinburgh and we hope to expand this to other institutions within Edinburgh.
If you would like to be involved then please keep an eye on:
- Slack: Subscribe to the UK RSE Slack account https://ukrse.slack.com/ and join the #edinburgh channel
- Jisc Mail: Edfirstname.lastname@example.org
- GitHub: https://github.com/cerse
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/cerse7
- Or get in touch with me. We hope to have more meetings soon.
Images show some attendees of last week's event.
Mario Antionioletti, EPCC