Free HPC education and training workshop
The ACM SIGHPC Education Chapter is a virtual special interest group with a focus on computational science and high-performance computing training and education. Every year the Chapter organises a number of in-person workshops affiliated with HPC conferences to provide a platform for discussion and knowledge transfer. Because of COVID-19, the workshop affiliated with this year's ISC conference will be held online on 25 June from 2pm– 6pm Central European Summer Time.
The aim of the workshop is to engage the international HPC education and training community in discussions on best practices, challenges and opportunities, and facilitate the sharing of educational resources and learned lessons. The workshop will consist of a number of presentations, a panel on “Best Practices for fostering HPC workforce training”, and breakout sessions to give more opportunities for conversations. There will be multiple opportunities to ask questions, share information, and have in-depth discussions with the presenters and participants.
- “What influences students’ understanding of scalability issues in parallel computing?” – Juan Chen, Brett Becker, Youwen Ouyang, and Li Shen.
- “Learning portals: call to action” – Scott Lathrop, Robert Panoff, Julia Mullen, Weronika Filinger, Susan Mehringer, and Alan O’Cais.
- “Exploring remote learning methods for user training in research computing” – Dhruva K. Chakravorty, Lisa Perez, Shaina D. Le, Marinus Pennings, Dylan Rodriguez, and Levi Jorda.
- “The Performance optimisations and productivity Centre of Excellence: from improving parallel codes to HPC training and education” – Fouzhan Hosseini and Craig Lucas.
- “HPC at Curtin University as an Honours course” – Chris Harris, Maciej Cytowski, Nigel Marks, Andrew Rohl, Paul Hancock, Paolo Raiteri, and Igor Bray.
- “Increasing learner takeaways through partnered active learning" – Ann Backhaus, Marco De La Pierre, Alexis Espinosa Gayosso, Christina Hall, and Jordan Blasco.
- “Virtual GPU hackathon: lessons learned” – Mozhgan Kabiri Chimeh.
- “Best practices for online training” – Weronika Filinger and David Henty.
- “Incorporating hands-on games to build HPC intuition” - Julia Mullen, Lauren Milechin, and Sid Samsi.
- “Toward a globally acknowledged and free HPC certification” – Julian Kunkel, Kai Himsteadt, Lev Lafayette, Anja Gerbes, Waseem Kemleh, Christian Meesters, and Weronika Filinger.
The workshop is free and open to anyone interested in HPC education or training.
To attend, please register at https://forms.gle/KU31867uVq1ainxm8. Participants will receive a URL to attend by Zoom. Registration will also be used to inform attendees about other events and opportunities to interact with the community.
Additional information about the topics and the schedule for this workshop are available at: https://sighpceducation.acm.org/events/HETET20_Program.html. This page will later host recordings from the workshop.
ACM SIGHPC Education Chapter website: https://sighpceducation.acm.org
ISC HPC Performance: https://www.isc-hpc.com