Mr Kostas Kavoussanakis
I joined EPCC in June 1998 as an Applications Consultant, and I now work as a Group Manager. My current portfolio of projects is as follows:
- NeSS: Listening to the Future: Next Generation Sound Synthesis through Simulation.
- Fed4FIRE: Service testbeds for Future Internet Research and Experimentation.
- EUDAT2020: European data infrastructure (User Documentation and Training Material).
- SAFE: Service Administration from EPCC.
In the past I have managed the following projects:
- EUDAT: European data infrastructure (User Documentation).
- Auditory: Using HPC to understand human hearing.
- ECO2Clouds: Experimental Awareness of CO2 in Federated Cloud Sourcing.
- BonFIRE: Testbeds for Internet of Services Experimentation.
- TEXTvre: Virtual Research Environment for textual studies
- eComploids: The Soft Matter Data Forum
- Synthesis: Music composition using simulation-based sound synthesis
- BEinGRID: Business Experiments in Grid
- EGEE-NPM: Network Performance Monitoring for the Enabling Grids for E-sciencE project
- Oncology: Genome Scan To Identify Common Low Penetrance Alleles Contributing to Colorectal Cancer Aetiology
- EGEE-JRA4: Network Services Development activity for the Enabling Grids for E-sciencE project
- PGPGrid: The Peppers Ghost Productions Grid Project
- 3D-Pathology: A real time system for quantitative diagnostic pathology and visualisation in 3D
- Autoscreen: automation of cervical cancer screening.
- GridWeaver: investigation of the problem of automating the configuration and management of Grid computing fabrics.
- Elektrobit: modelling of 3G mobile telephony networks.
- Seesaw: performance optimisation of sawmills through the use of visual inspection.
- ITBase: development of a tool for courseware maintenance.
Even longer ago, I worked as a developer on the following projects:
- Intersim: development of a tool for the simulation of differentiated services.
- Colombo: development of a tool for the programming and seamless parallel execution of CA models.
I graduated in 1994 from the University of Crete with a BSc in Mathematics. I then moved on to Edinburgh University and graduated in 1995 with an MSc in Computer Science, following the “Parallel Systems” course theme.
My first employment was at Heriot-Watt University, where I worked as a Research Associate in the Department of Computing and Electrical Engineering. In September 1996 I enlisted in the Hellenic Navy for my compulsory, 21-month National Service.
In my free time I like watching football and I am also keen on gardening.