Data research projects
The advent of the internet has brought with it "Big Data". The term is usually used to refer to the mass of raw data available to users from many different sources and coming in many different forms. The single unifying thread is that significant effort may be required not only to process and store these data, but also to extract useful information from them.
Recent and current data research projects at EPCC include:
- AstroData Analysing astronomical data
- Aviagen Using data science to cope with the rapidly growing scale of genomic datasets
- EUDAT European Data Infrastructure
- Farr Institute of Health Informatics Research Building a new secure, data-driven computational platform for health research
- ICORDI International Collaboration on Data Infrastructure
- Large Synoptic Survey Telescope This 10-year sky survey will deliver more than 100 Petabytes of images and data products
- Next Generation Sequencing Collaborating with Edinburgh Genomics to provide the infrastructure and support to optimise high-throughput gene sequencing
- PERICLES Fighting 'semantic decay'
- UK Research Data Facility A large data storage and analysis platform for active research data associated with computational science